Wednesday, March 10, 2010

paparazzi


Some people use their camera phones to take pictures of mountains, as shown above. Some people use it to take a picture of themselves to send to a loved one, and there are some who use it to take pictures when something hilarious happens and they want to share it with a friend. 

Then, there are people who like to use their phones to take pictures of people they don't know at inappropriate times! Yesterday, I caught one of these people.

I get on the Red Line every morning and there's usually something out of the ordinary going on, but never (in my life) have I been faced with something like this. I was standing to the side, minding my own business, and that's when I felt like I was being stared at...you know that feeling...

Normally, it's standard to just sit or stand, keep quiet, and not to stare at other people...well I think this guy missed the lesson. When I looked over he was staring at me, under the rim of his black scally cap. Immediately I become uncomfortable, it's just...well it's creepy! So, I look away and try to ignore it, but the train stops and I have to move over to make room for the new passengers and just as I look again, I see him holding the phone up, with it aimed at me (I see the camera lens) and he's clearly taking a picture. So, at this point I'm just annoyed. I know what some of you are thinking...he probably wasn't even doing that....and I tried to calm down and give him the benefit of the doubt. I mean, why would anyone want to take a picture of me...tired, and grumpy?! Right?! Well, after this whole "I think he just took a picture of me" moment had happened, in the reflection of the window I see the screen of his phone and sure enough...there is a picture of me...pink coat and all! 

So, what do I do? 

As much as I wanted to say something to him, I had no idea what to say?! So, I kept my mouth shut and made my way to the opposite end of the car (which I'm sure irritated everyone because the car was full) but I was so frazzled that I needed to do something.

So, yeah, that was quite the situation...I want to have faith in people. I would like to assume that people know what is right and wrong in social situations. In this instance my faith (at the moment) was shot, and this was definitely WRONG. I would have loved nothing more than to call this guy out...shout, yell, and verbally chastise him until he apologized and hit the delete button, but I've learned that people are crazy....and they do crazy things and because of this I kept my mouth shut tight! 

No comments: