Thursday, June 10, 2010

precious morning encounter

Unexpected surprises from God are the best, especially when they come from children. This Thursday morning was just like every other morning. I cursed the alarm clock, but forced myself to roll out of bed and get my day started! I've been making coffee at night and chilling it in the fridge so I can have iced coffee in the morning (it's saving me $3.07 and I'm sure Starbuck's misses me, but it's better for my bank account!) The sun was shining and the birds are just going crazy singing and hollering to one another. Everyone around me is still geared up from last nights hockey game. The Chicago Blackhawk's pulled it off and walked away with the Stanley Cup! I am and always will be a Red Wings fan, but it was a great game!

Ok, back to my story...with coffee in hand, I walk to the bus stop. I catch the bus the same time every morning and always have the same driver. He's super bubbly which I love and we exchange smiles and wish each other a good morning! As I walk towards the back of the bus I see this adorable set of sisters. (They couldn't be more than 5 & 9 years old, which still floors me that children this small can master CTA!) As I take my seat I hear them talking and the older of the two is holding a piece of paper and helping the younger one read it. The older of the two reads the words, and then asks that the younger one read them back to her and then asks her so sweetly to sing what they have just read...then together they began to sing...

Shout to the lord, all the earth, let us sing
Power and majesty, praise to the King
Mountains bow down, and the seas will roar
At the sound of your name... 

Of course I couldn't help by stare, and smile, and feel a calm come over me. With each word my heart would melt that much more. 

After a minute or two the older sister looked at me, and smiled. The younger sister, was immediately shy, but then appeared this huge toothless grin, and hid behind the paper she was now holding. "That was a beautiful song the two of you were singing" I say, and in unison with their little girl voices they said "Thank you mam." 
We then chatted for a minute and they said that they were practicing for church on Sunday, and told me that they were 10 & 5 years old and on their way to school. When the bus pulled up to our stop the hopped off with me, and both waved and said "goodbye mam," it was just the sweetest thing! 

I never know what to expect on my morning commute, but this precious encounter was most welcome. I'm filled with such joy at the thought of children being on fire for God, and singing and praising him. It reminds me that I need to do more of that throughout my day, and also always be aware of my surroundings to make sure that I'm not missing out on anything as lovely and positively contagious as this!

No comments: