Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Common Courtesy, is it common?

So, I've made a conscious decision to write something  instead of tearing apart CTA (public transportation) with a very distasteful and extremely negative entry I have decided to focus more on the actual issue that I am faced with on a daily basis. Common Courtesy. I'm beginning to think it's not so common...well, either that or my expectations of others might be too high???

I'm from a small town in Michigan, and yes, you could classify me as a "country" girl I suppose. I take pride in the fact that I was raised in a quiet town, with great like-minded people, and manners. "Please" and "thank you" were always a must, and looking out for those around you just seemed to come naturally. I really hate to blame the city of Chicago, so I won't, but I'm becoming more aware of the things I know now I took for granted. 

This is where I am going to step on my small soapbox a minute, and express my P.O.V and hope that it doesn't sound like complaining...How difficult is it to say "excuse me" if you need to get by someone, or hold a door open a second longer so the person behind you can get through? Saying "thank you" when someone picks up something you have dropped, or holding an elevator door for someone who is running towards it don't seem like that big of a deal, does it? Of course these are small things that may not bother everyone, but acts of courtesy nonetheless.

In my small group meeting last night we discussed what being selfish means, and talked even more about what motivates us to be that way. It seems as though in our culture with our generation we are all incredibly self-obsessed. Me, me, me, I, I, I....and I understand why people think this way only because I used to be one of them. In certain seasons of my  life there were times when I felt that I was the only one I could count on. I used to think "if I want it done right, I need to do it myself" or "I can't trust anyone" or "no one else is looking out for me, so I'm on my own." Of course as time has passed I've realized that I was wrong, and I have had people lend a helping hand and I've learned to accept it. I've also learned to pay it forward and try to be aware of my surroundings and do my best to do the right thing no matter how big or small.

I sometimes fall short, as we all do, but I know God forgives me and loves me regardless. I know that as long as I continue to live for him, do my best with each day, and invest in other people's lives, that life is good! 

Is common courtesy common in your day to day? 




No comments: