Monday, November 23, 2009

How can I make a difference?

"Everyone can be great because anyone can serve... You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love... " ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 
With Thanksgiving only a couple of days away and Christmas soon thereafter, I have been thinking of ways that I can help give back to the community. I'm going to be checking out some of the volunteer opportunities with Chicagocares. org, and also help out through the church we attend here in the city. When I first moved to Chicago, seeing the less fortunate on nearly every corner was overwhelming, but as time has passed, and as sad as it is to admit, I've become used to it. I give when I can, whether it's leftovers from lunch, or the change in my pocket. It really does hurt my heart...I pray that God will surround them with his love, and help them through this difficult time. Life happens, and people hit rock bottom, but we can help! So in spirit of the holiday season, make a difference and show God's love to those in need!

No comments: