Thursday, January 13, 2011

wise words from a new old friend

This morning I was sitting at my desk trying to get my tasks in order when an older gentleman came into the office. He walked in very quietly, pulled up a chair, and introduced himself to me. We shook hands, exchanged pleasantries, and got down to business. Like most business conversations the personal part of our lives often invades and he started talking about his family and his wife....come to find out my new friend was 92 years old, and let me tell you, he's still kickin'! 


His wife is 94, and she was at home getting ready for their everyday Russ' lunch time adventure. (He was quite proud of himself in telling me that they split the big breakfast dish and he only ends up spending $6.39 with a tip! hahaHe told me about his children, and his grandchildren, and amazingly his 23 great grandchildren...I was in awe. He continued on to tell me that he and his bride had just recently celebrated their 74th wedding anniversary and I was amazed and had to ask the question, "what keeps you and your wife so young and happy?" He looked at me with a sincere side mouthed smile and said, "Oh Darlin', stay close to God, everyday." Such simple words, with such beautiful meaning.


He thanked me for the help I'd offered him, put on his very stylish fedora, and slowly headed for the door. What an encounter it was, and how happy I had been to meet him. God really does show himself in the most random ways, but I think chance meetings such as these have to be my most favorite. 


I was reminded that everyone has a story. I believe that it should be told because somewhere, sometime, someone is meant to listen. 

No comments: