Tuesday, January 4, 2011

volunteer

One of the things I decided to focus on in 2011 was giving back, and getting involved in things that I'd been putting off for way too long. So starting in a couple of weeks I'll be volunteering at the new Helen DeVos Children's Hospital in downtown Grand Rapids.


I'm so excited!


I applied about a month ago, and have begun the interview process, getting flu shots, TB testing, and my training will begin in late January. I will be starting out in the NCIU. I know some days it might be very trying, but I hope to provide a positive attitude, and comforting presence for those I'll be assisting.


The new hospital is amazing, and we got a full tour of the building that will be opening on the  1/11/11 when we went with Jason's mom a couple of weeks ago. She is the bereavement coordinator at the hospital and will be doing some amazing things with her program.


The architecture is incredible, and the technology is unbelievable. Check it out here. As great of a place as it will be for the children that will be treated there...I hope that Jason and I never have to go there again. 


They can always use extra support! Click here for an application.


I'll report back after the opening!


No comments: