Friday, February 19, 2010

Un-Christian

 
"Christians are supposed to represent Christ to the world. But according to the latest report card, something has gone terribly wrong. Using descriptions like “hypocritical,” “insensitive,” and “judgmental,” young Americans share an impression of Christians that’s nothing short of . . . unChristian." - David Kinnaman & Gabe Lyons

I have yet to read this book, but it's now at the top of my list! Last night I attended Elements (a gathering put together by my church to get people together to get connected and create community) and one of the author's, Gabe Lyons, was in attendance and spoke to the group about his book and the research that he used to create it. I went into this with an open mind and an open heart and came away with new perspective and many more questions...

The biggest question I had to ask myself while listening to him speak was "what do I look like as Christian?" I couldn't quite answer it as quickly as I would have liked. After his introduction he asked us what we think these un-christian people think about the Christan faith...and the answers that people responded with were in majority all negative. Hypocritical, judgmental, sheltered are just a few of the words that were thrown out to the group. I admit my heart sank a little. I am a believer, and am choosing to believe that if there are believers out there that fit these stereotypes that I can help change peoples opinions. 

In an effort not to ramble on, I will skip to the part where he spoke of the next book they are putting together and it will be called "The Next Christians." He began to explain what kinds of questions they were asking, and what the feedback was showing and the most optimistic point he shared was that with all of the bad things that are happening in America and throughout the world, that instead of people backing away and not getting involved with anything, they seemed to be engaging in these trying situations and creating solutions. With that statement I asked myself another question "how can I help, and stand out as a Christian in my community?"

Needless to say I left the gathering very stimulated! As I sit here writing this my head is spinning just thinking about what kind of answers I'll find to the questions I'm asking myself. To be continued...

For more information: 


No comments: