Monday, February 22, 2010

GO USA!!!

Last night the USA Men's Hockey team defeated Canada 5-3! It was one of the best games I've ever seen! Ryan Miller, the goalie, was my hero! He was a saving machine! 

Like that moment last night, there have been dozens of great moments that we've caught live! Shaun White winning his second consecutive Gold on the half pipe, Lindsey Vonn taking Gold for the downhill, and Bode Miller took home a Gold for the men's combined race. USA leads in the medal count, I hope they can keep it up!

As I sit there watching all of the history being made, I can't help but wonder what it would be like to be that passionate about something...these athletes devote their lives to training for this one event that happens every four years, and as we've also witnessed can be over in just seconds...with the wrong footing, the wrong landing, or a missed goal. What is it that motivates them? What gives them that drive? Is it merely just the thought of being able to say "I'm the best in the world at what I do?"  

The training, discipline,  and dedication that it must take for an Olympic athlete is something I can't even begin to comprehend. It definitely makes me want to try more winter sports! I know I'll be one big bruise, but I'd love to try and snowboard! Jason and I would love to try curling, and we also agree that in another life I should have been a hockey player...now isn't that a funny picture :)

No comments: