Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fresh Mountain Air...



Well, I finally made it out west! This past weekend Jason and I headed to Colorado to visit his best friend Jason. I was so excited to see the mountains, and just like everyone told me I would...I fell in love with them!

My flight there was nice and smooth, and the airport was amazing! (Rachel, you were so right!!!) I'm a dork, and took pictures inside! (There is a small one in the collage.) Jason and Barry picked me up from the airport and we made our way into Denver! Jason Mejeur helps coach the men's basketball team at Colorado Christian University, so we went to support him and the Cougars! They played a great game and we had a lot of fun watching Jay in action. He's extremely dedicated to the team and is making a positive impact on the guys, they are so lucky to have him!

Saturday morning we grabbed a delicious breakfast at this little place called Snooze. What a great name for a breakfast joint isn't it?! I had the best pancakes I've ever had, and the company and conversation was a great way to get the day started. Jason and I drove around for awhile in downtown Denver, just checking things out and "getting our barings" as Jason likes to call it! (a.k.a. not wanting to ask for directions) Then we made our way to Boulder to do some sight seeing, and beer tasting. The drive over was gorgeous! (The picture in the very center of the collage was taken on the way.) Mejeur told us we had to go to Pearl Street and walk around so we took his advice and headed that way once we were in town. The street was lined with shops and restaurants, and we had lunch at The Mountain Sun, they had great food and we tried a bunch of different kinds of their beer! My favorite was the Black Cherry Wheat, Yum! After lunch we drove to the the Avery Brewing Co. We got to taste 10 different kinds of beers and WOW were they different then what we're used to here in the Midwest! We only finished three of them...they were good, but a couple of them were very strong and to be honest tasted a lot like pine needles! We headed back to Denver to take in another basketball game (Cougars got a W!) and went downtown to a great mexican place called the Rio Grande and had an amazing dinner with lots of margaritas!

Sunday morning, we were up early to get ready for our Sunday Mountain Adventure as Jay called it! We started with a coffee and baileys and jumped in the car and headed toward Breckenridge! The weather was a bit rough on the drive, it was snowing pretty good, and was very overcast, but as soon as we got to the trail it cleared up and the sun came out. We hiked up Spruce Creek trail for about 2-3 hours and boy was that an experience! Everyone kept telling me that the altitude would get to me, and boy did it ever!!! I was out of breathe quickly, but I kept pushing myself and Jay was pretty proud of me. We made it over 10,000+ feet and it was amazing. We took pictures on a frozen lake we came across and the scenery was breathe taking. I felt so incredibly small...and it really puts things into perspective.

Jason has always told me that when he's in the mountains that's when he really is at peace and that is where he feels God's presence that most...I can now say that I know what he means and I completely agree. It's so quiet, and peaceful, and untouched. We took a moment and said a prayer, thanking God for all that he does, and for all that he has done for us. It was a perfect moment and I'm so happy that we were able to share that together!

Overall it was a great weekend, too short of a trip, but wonderful nonetheless! I can't wait to go back and try skiing or snowboarding...Jason should be ready to go next winter as his knee is healing really well, so we'll  have to try out the bunny hills!

Next up is a trip to Florida to visit my mom and stepdad! 28 days and counting!!!

No comments: