Tuesday, April 2, 2013

boo to the moo

When in pain, go dairy free. Well, at least that's what I've been told for the past couple of months. Now April is here, and I made a promise to myself to try giving up the moo for a month. (When I say moo, I mean dairy. Just to clear that up.)

It's Day 2, and this is hard. A lot harder than I thought it would be. Who knew so many of the delicious things that I love included dairy. Well, maybe you did, but I didn't. I already miss my morning peach chobani, half and half in my iced coffee, and 2% on my rice crispies. I'm slowing making friends with soy milk. It's...well...interesting. 

Why dairy free? Simply, it's in an effort to aid this irritating bank pain that I've had for the past two years. Once upon a time three short months ago while visiting some dear friends in the state that harbors our sworn enemies, the buckeyes, I came down with a very bad case of strep throat. Bad enough that I was put on multiple medications, including the steroid, Prednisone. Oh what a magical drug Prednisone is. I understand now why I was only given 5 days worth of this miracle pill because I felt amazing. Being that it is an anti-inflammatory drug, my sore throat wasn't as sore, and neither was my back. No pain. None at all.

I didn't realize it until day 2 when I woke up feeling refreshed and I realized it was because I had slept..like really slept. On any other day I'd have woken up around 2am, having tears sting my eyes because of the amount pain I was feeling just by rolling over. It was not fun, and I was exhausted.
This magical anti-inflammatory drug was a saving grace that week. When the meds were gone, the pain slowly came back, and I knew it was time to take action.

I've had massage after massage trying to aid it. Aleve and Motrin can't touch it.After speaking with my massage therapist, she suggested that I simply try an anti-inflammatory diet to see if it helps at all. I laughed at first, but then went home and did some research. So here I am. Dairy free and praying that by some miracle I can find a way to alleviate pain.

If you're reading this, and you have suggestions please oh please, I'd love to hear them.

Stay tuned...




2 comments:

Alex said...

Good luck, lady! Let me know how it goes - I hope it helps you!

Kate said...

I have been dairy free for a month now because of Graham! Oreos are my new best friend! Also almond milk is good on cereal and in coffee! Good luck!