Tuesday, May 18, 2010

it's just that simple

Selfishness denotes the precedence given in thought or deed to the self i.e., self interest or self concern. It is the act of placing one's own needs or desires above the needs or desires of others.

By the definition above, you can see that this specific post isn't coming from a happy place...but from a very confused one. Of course I will not sit here and say I've never been selfish. I have. Many times. More than I'd like to admit or remember. However, I would like to say that as I grow older and learn more about myself, and the people that I love and care about, that I am capable of taking a step back and looking at each situation...and while acknowledging my own feelings, also taking others into consideration and acting accordingly. Many times I need to lower my expectations, or in some instances raise them. I continue to try putting myself in the other persons shoes instead of just seeing things from my size 7 and 1/2. Each person is unique. Each person has their own opinion and attitude about certain things so with the knowledge I have about the situation and the person I can enter with an open mind, and with honesty, and kindness...I listen, and interact. 

Sometimes, people surprise you, but sometimes it is not in a positive way. It's disheartening when you feel that you aren't being heard, or given the same respect that you are trying to show the other person. I understand that no everyone will feel the same way I do, I actually welcome that in most cases as I myself like to play the devils advocate. But sometimes you have to see past "your own selfishness" to show kindness and love. 

Some people, just don't get it. Either they are oblivious, or are choosing to be selfish. Plain and simple. They put on a good show with smoke and mirrors, but we all know in the end it's fake...pretend...part of a beautifully crafted magic trick.

Treat people how you want to be treated. Listen to people how you want to me listened to. Talk to people how you want to be talked to. Love people how you want to be loved. That's what my mom always taught me! It's that simple. 

No comments: