Friday, November 12, 2010

bittersweet

"Bittersweet" by Shauna Niequist has once again filled me with a calm that never ceases to amaze me and I am already sad that I've just about finished it. It's so insightful, incredibly vulnerable, and so simply honest that I have laughed and cried, and laid awake a night thinking about the kinds of things she's brought to light.

I follow her blog obsessively...here's a small dose of what you'll get!


'This is what I've come to believe about change: it's good, in the way that childbirth is good, and heartbreak is good, and failure is good. By that I mean that it's incredibly painful, exponentially more so if you fight it, and also that it has the potential to open you up, to open life up, to deliver you right into the palm of God's hand, which is where you wanted to be all long, except that you were too busy pushing and pulling your life into exactly what you thought it should be. 'I've learned the hard way that change is one of God's greatest gifts, and most useful tools. Change can push us, pull us, rebuke and remake us. It can show us who we've become, in the worst ways, and also in the best ways. I've learned that it's not something to run away from, as though we could, and that in many cases, change is a function of God's graciousness, not life's cruelty.'

No comments: